Book Title: Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Writing: With More Than 50 Texts from National Geographic, The New York Times, Prevention, The Washington Post, Smithsonian, Harvard Business Review and Many Others
Author: Nancy Steineke
- Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from The New York Times, Rolling Stone, The Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others
- Texts and Lessons for Teaching Literature: with 65 fresh mentor texts from Dave Eggers, Nikki Giovanni, Pat Conroy, Jesus Colon, Tim O'Brien, Judith Ortiz Cofer, and many more
- Text Structures From the Masters: 50 Lessons and Nonfiction Mentor Texts to Help Students Write Their Way In and Read Their Way Out of Every Single Imaginable Genre, Grades 6-10 (Corwin Literacy)
- 180 DAYS: Two Teachers and the Quest to Engage and Empower Adolescents
- Reading Nonfiction: Notice & Note Stances, Signposts, and Strategies
- 50 Common Core Reading Response Activities: Easy Mini-Lessons and Engaging Activities to Help Students Explore and Analyze Literature and Informational Texts
- Take Five! for Language Arts: 180 bell-ringers that build critical-thinking skills (Maupin House)
- Grammar Keepers: Lessons That Tackle Students′ Most Persistent Problems Once and for All, Grades 4-12 (Corwin Literacy)
- Write Like This: Teaching Real-World Writing Through Modeling and Mentor Texts
- The Big Book of Details: 46 Moves for Teaching Writers to Elaborate
- Over 50 reproducible mentor texts that demonstrate the moves of skillful nonfiction writers
- 36 ready to use content-literacy lessons designed to engage students in close reading, quick writing, and lively discussion
- More than 100 options for meaningful, content-focused extended writing projects.
"Using these practical lessons, you can teach your own subject matter in more compelling and memorable ways-and at the same time, help your students become better thinkers and writers across the day and through the year." -Harvey "Smokey" Daniels and Nancy Steineke
Content-area teachers, rejoice once again: Harvey "Smokey" Daniels and Nancy Steineke bring you the companion volume to their ever popular Texts & Lessons for Content-Area Reading-this time helping students "write to learn," using powerful writing and thinking strategies that get students engaged in your content and prepare them for academic writing, but don't increase your workload.
"And here's the bonus you'll only believe once you try this stuff," Smokey and Nancy write, "these strategies add joy to our teaching. Classes feel crisper and more energetic; there is flow between writing and talking, reflection and action."
Three text set lessons designed to be studied, written about, and debated together are divided into three nonfiction writing genres:
- Narrative Nonfiction
- Persuasive texts/argumentative
NEW! A new web support feature in this edition includes downloadable copies of all the texts, articles, forms, prompts, and images that accompany lessons. Writing to learn in your content area has never been so cool-or so easy.